Thursday, November 1, 2018

Homemade Peter Pan Family Costumes

This year for our family Halloween costume theme, we picked Peter Pan.   This year's costumes involved a lot more sewing than usual, and no crochet!

Arthur: Michael Darling. I ordered pink zipper footie pajamas from Primary and sewed on a couple buttons.  He also carried a teddy around.

 Sienna: Tinkerbell. The dress is Simplicity 2377 (aka the pattern I use for pretty much everything) for the bodice, then I cut doubles of giant leaf shapes, sewed each set right sides together, basted them into a circle, and gathered to the bodice.  It turned out shorter than I wanted, but I think it looked cute and very Tink.  I made a lime green tutu to wear under the dress for some puff.  The wings were a hand me down pair from a friend. She also wore white puff balls on her flip flops, but my neighbor made those because she is a puff ball expert.


Dalton: John Darling.  We ordered a collapsible top hat from ebay that was not collapsible, and was also pretty smashed from being mailed in a bag. But at least it arrived, unlike the other item I ordered from ebay at the same time.  I digress.  He is wearing Harry Potter glasses a friend had in her costume bin, and I made the night shirt.  I traced one of John's collared shirts and threw the thing together.  It's not pretty, but it worked.


Maggie: Tiger Lily.  We borrowed a costume from a friend. A dress (she had to wear leggings under it), boot covers, and a head piece.  The only thing I added was gold ribbon wrapped around the ends of her braids.


John: Peter Pan. Shirt is from Goodwill, belt is from the dollar store,and pants are from Amazon. I made the hat using this Peter Pan Hat Tutorial, which is sized for toddlers. So I made it bigger. And kept cutting it smaller and smaller until it fit.  



 Me: Wendy. I think I used this pattern as a reference. My dress turned out enormous, I literally cut feet of material off the sides. I sewed a super long satin ribbon to the front, and made a giant blue hair bow, which I hot glued to an alligator clip.  Done. It was comfy, even though I made it out of a $5 Walmart sheet and had to wear a slip.




No comments: